The J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa is designed for citizens of foreign countries who will take part in an authorized cultural or educational exchange program in the United States for the purpose of: acquiring medical education or training; conducting research; consulting; demonstrating special skills; instructing; lecturing; observing; receiving training; studying; or teaching. This may include visiting professors, researchers, scholars, specialists, students, teachers, and trainers – among others. These programs were established in order to promote the exchange of knowledge and skills in the fields of the arts, education and science. Some exchange programs permit a foreign national with a J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa to work in the USA. The spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age may also be able to receive the J-2 Visa for family members so they can live in America with the J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa holder. In general, the foreign national must first apply for and be accepted to an exchange program in the US that is approved by the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), then apply for the J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa. In 2018, there were 382,219 foreign nationals who were issued the J-Visa to live in the USA.